What is a blog, and why does your website need one?
The word "blog", short for "weblog" derives from its early origins as an actual journal on places like livejournal and blogger. The use of the term is further confused by the fact that people use it to refer to the parts, as well as to the whole.
If you think of a blog as a journal or diary, the term blog refers to the whole book, while blog post (or simply post) refers to each entry. They can be used for any content that will need frequent updating, it needn't be a journal. Following is a brief overview of some basic blog-related tasks in NationBuilder.
Adding a New Blog in NationBuilder
- Once you are logged into your nation, click on Website in the blue bar, and select the Nation where you would like to add a blog
- In the navigation menu that appears below the name of your site, click where it says New Page.
- Give your blog a Name by typing it in the box. If you click or tab away from Name, NationBuilder will automatically create a slug for it.
- Click on the radio button next to blog.
- At the bottom of the page you have the option to Include this blog in your Top Nav. Remember, this means that a link to this specific blog will show up in the main menu of your page. Make sure this is a decision you want before you click. If you no longer want it to be in the Top Nav after you create the blog, you can manage this in blog settings.
- Click on Create Page
Congratulations, you’ve created a blog in your nation!
How to Create a Blog Post
To add a new blog post, follow these steps:
- Go to the NationBuilder control panel
- Click on the page that has your content type Blog.
- Click on "blog" under the Slug column
- Click on "Posts and Subpages" in the lower navigation bar
- Click on "New Post" on the menu bar which appeared
- Enter a Headline (What will appear as the title of this blog post)
- Generally, you can use the slug suggested by NationBuilder. If you have an earlier blog post of the same name, however, you will need to change the slug. It is best to simply avoid having a blog post of the same name.
- Change the status to what is appropriate. If you are ready for this blog to be listed immediately, change the drop down box from "Drafted" to "Published".
- You will be taken to the page where you can put your blog content in. The content in the "Before the flip" box will appear anywhere the blog is summarized, such as on the home page. Content in the "After the flip" box will only appear on the full blog page.
- To make an image appear in your blog post, you will want to click on the "Settings" Menu
- Click on the "Social Media" sub-menu
- Click "Browse" by near the bottom where it says "Thumbnail image for Facebook, etc"
- Click "Save social media settings"
And now you have created your first post! Boy, you're chugging along.
Adding Photos to your Blog Posts
- Navigate to the Blog Post to which you'd like to add an image.
- Click on files.
- Click on the yellow Upload Files button.
- Select the file you wish to upload, and click Open.
- When your file has finished uploading, it will appear below the "File Name" heading, in the list of available files.
- Go back to your blog post by selecting the content tab
- In the text editor tools, click on the tiny photo (it looks like a tree).
- A tiny little browser will open called Insert/Edit Image, click the dropdown where it says “Image List” (if you haven’t uploaded a photo then you won’t see this field)
- Select the photo from the drop down
- Click Insert
- If you want to resize the photo, click and drag the corner/side handles to your desired size
- If you want there to be some padding between the photo and text, click on the tiny photo in the navigation again and enter a number between 5-10 in the vertical and horizontal fields.
- After you are done writing in your blog post, remember to click Save Content.